Phil : Do you ever have déjà vu, Mrs. Lancaster?
Mrs. Lancaster : I don’t think so, but I could check with the kitchen.
Why is this race called Groundhog PSI-clocross? Well, in 1992 the downtown square of Woodstock, IL was used to film the movie Groundhog Day. Rob Curtis and the PSIMET crew have carried some parts of the movie into the venue.
- Remember to use #psiCX on Twitter and Instagram.
- Registration closes Friday at 10pm. There will be day of registration available at a higher price but only through BikeReg.
- Preliminary Staging will be posted here on Saturday.
- State Championships: This event is the 2022 Illinois State Cyclocross Championships. State Championships will be awarded to categories and participants as outlined on the flyer.
- There must be 3 Illinois residents in a race for a championship to be awarded.
- There will be the following podiums – One for the race. One for the CCC standings. One for the State Championship being awarded. Quick math reveals that could be as many as 18 podiums for the junior 9-14 race alone so while Kenny is a master at doing podiums please be patient and understanding.
- State Champion podiums will include medals for 1-3 place. A Championship jersey will be presented. If there is no longer a jersey available in the correct size for the winner they have the option of taking a jersey that is available or they will get a link to allow them to purchase one directly from Pactimo. There are plenty of jerseys available but we no longer have all sizes available.
- JUNIORS – The 3 COMPETITORS RULE is SUSPENDED for Junior competition only. Junior Championships are awarded in 2 gender divisions in the following age categories: 9-10, 11-12, 13-14, 15-16, 17-18 meaning there are 10 possible junior champion positions available.
- Women Cat 4 State Champions will be awarded from the Women Cat 3/4 Race. Men Cat 4 State Champions will be awarded from the Men Cat 4 race. There are no State Champ jerseys awarded to novice (i.e. Cat 5) categories, meaning there are no jerseys awarded in the Men Cat 5 and Women Cat 4/5 races.
- Have questions on State Champ categories/awards? Contact the race director or us and we’d be happy to clarify details for you.
- Remember that Daylight Savings ends the morning of the race so be sure you have the right time!
- There is plenty of parking throughout the park. As with all previous years there is NO PARKING ON THE GRASS. This is the strictest rule the park and city have for the facility. This also means no vehicles on the grass to drop off gear early in the morning <looks at masters teams>. We say this every year and yet it still ends up being a problem at some point in the day. No cars on grass anywhere for any length of time.
- If you enter from either of the Park’s North entrances (Kishwaukee Valley Rd or Jackson St) then you can drive right up to the “tent city” field and drop off gear.
- This park has “always” had a “no alcohol” policy. So when you bring in cups for your soda and lemonade PSIMET asks that you pack out what you bring in. It helps PSIMET make sure the park doesn’t think we’re a drinking series with a cycling problem if there aren’t a lot of juice boxes laying around.
- Food: Perk and Pickle Food Truck will be on site all day long serving breakfast, lunch and an early dinner if needed. Serving hours will be from 8am-5pm. The menu for race day is available on their site now – https://perknpickle.com/menu
- Equipment Pits will be single width and will not use the orange fencing this year. There will NOT be any water or washing facilities at the race though, so if conditions look to be getting worse please plan your own support accordingly. There are a couple of water spigots around the park that may or may not be in service.
- There won’t be much if any daylight left after the last race ends, so please plan accordingly. Also if you can, please help PSIMET tear down the course so they aren’t doing it all in the dark.
- There is an informal Car Show that we are hosting on site like we did last year. If you bring a notable car for display (classic, antique, etc.) we will have an area for you to park at the top of the hill near the food truck. You will also receive a free food truck meal voucher from the PSIMET coordinator.
- As another reminder, if you are pre-riding while anyone is finishing up, please make sure you are NOT inadvertently riding in front of people still racing. Just ride slowly behind them and offer words of encouragement or ring a cowbell. Thanks!
- If you’re interested in looking over the filming locations for the movie there is a great map for self-guided tours here: http://www.woodstockgroundhog.org/walking-tour/
- The Course:
A collection of no less than half a dozen pinwheels/toilet bowls Roughly the same course as last year with a few small modifications.